[Gluster-users] [External] Re: Proposal to mark few features as Deprecated / SunSet from Version 5.0

Davide Obbi davide.obbi at booking.com
Wed Aug 22 14:16:22 UTC 2018

Hi Amar,

we are also going to start using glusterfs with quotas for home folders.
Quotas is one of the main requirements and i'd like to add a +1 to keep the
quota feature, as already said maintaining  quotas for each brick at Xfs
level does not seem really practical.

thanks

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM Amar Tumballi <atumball at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:21 PM, Gudrun Mareike Amedick <
> g.amedick at uni-luebeck.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're planning a dispersed volume with at least 50 project directories.
>> Each of those has its own quota ranging between 0.1TB and 200TB. Comparing
>> XFS
>> project quotas over several servers and bricks to make sure their total
>> matches the desired value doesn't really sound practical. It would probably
>> be
>> possible to create and maintain 50 volumes and more, but it doesn't seem
>> to be a desirable solution. The quotas aren't fixed and resizing a volume is
>> not as trivial as changing the quota.
>>
>> Quota was in the past and still is a very comfortable way to solve this.
>>
>> But what is the new recommended way for such a setting when the quota is
>> going to be deprecated?
>>

> Thanks for the feedback. Helps us to prioritize. Will get back on this.
>
> -Amar
>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Gudrun
>> Am Donnerstag, den 19.07.2018, 12:26 +0530 schrieb Amar Tumballi:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Over last 12 years of Gluster, we have developed many features, and
>> continue to support most of it till now. But along the way, we have figured
>> out
>> > better methods of doing things. Also we are not actively maintaining
>> some of these features.
>> >
>> > We are now thinking of cleaning up some of these ‘unsupported’
>> features, and mark them as ‘SunSet’ (i.e., would be totally taken out of
>> codebase in
>> > following releases) in next upcoming release, v5.0. The release notes
>> will provide options for smoothly migrating to the supported configurations.
>> >
>> > If you are using any of these features, do let us know, so that we can
>> help you with ‘migration’.. Also, we are happy to guide new developers to
>> > work on those components which are not actively being maintained by
>> current set of developers.
>> >
>> > List of features hitting sunset:
>> >
>> > ‘cluster/stripe’ translator:
>> >
>> > This translator was developed very early in the evolution of GlusterFS,
>> and addressed one of the very common question of Distributed FS, which is
>> > “What happens if one of my file is bigger than the available brick.
>> Say, I have 2 TB hard drive, exported in glusterfs, my file is 3 TB”. While
>> it
>> > solved the purpose, it was very hard to handle failure scenarios, and
>> give a real good experience to our users with this feature. Over the time,
>> > Gluster solved the problem with it’s ‘Shard’ feature, which solves the
>> problem in much better way, and provides much better solution with existing
>> > well supported stack. Hence the proposal for Deprecation.
>> >
>> > If you are using this feature, then do write to us, as it needs a
>> proper migration from existing volume to a new full supported volume type
> [...]

Davide Obbi
System Administrator

Booking.com B.V.
Vijzelstraat 66-80 Amsterdam 1017HL Netherlands
Direct +31207031558
[image: Booking.com] <https://www.booking.com/>
The world's #1 accommodation site
43 languages, 198+ offices worldwide, 120,000+ global destinations,
1,550,000+ room nights booked every day
No booking fees, best price always guaranteed
Subsidiary of Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG)