[Gluster-users] Node count constraints with EC?

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 04:50:46 UTC 2017

Hi Terry,

There is not constraint on number of nodes for erasure coded volumes.
However, there are some suggestions to keep in mind.

If you have 4+2 configuration, that means you can loose maximum 2 bricks at a time without loosing your volume for IO.
These bricks may fail because of node crash or node disconnection. That is why it is always good to have all the 6 bricks on 6 different nodes. If you have 3 bricks on one node and this nodes goes down then you
will loose the volume and it will be inaccessible.
So just keep in mind that you should not loose more than redundancy bricks even if any one node goes down.

----
Ashish