[Gluster-users] Node count constraints with EC?

Terry McGuire tmcguire at ualberta.ca
Wed Mar 29 18:29:32 UTC 2017

Hello list.  Newbie question:  I’m building a low-performance/low-cost storage service with a starting size of about 500TB, and want to use Gluster with erasure coding.  I’m considering subvolumes of maybe 4+2, or 8+3 or 4.  I was thinking I’d spread these over 4 nodes, and add single nodes over time, with subvolumes rearranged over new nodes to maintain protection from whole node failures.

However, reading through some RedHat-provided documentation, they seem to suggest that node counts should be a multiple of 3, 6 or 12, depending on subvolume config.  Is this actually a requirement, or is it only a suggestion for best performance or something?

Can anyone comment on node count constraints with erasure coded subvolumes?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s reply,
Terry

Terry McGuire
Information Services and Technology (IST)
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  T6G 2H1
Phone:  780-492-9422