[Gluster-users] Backups

Gambit15 dougti+gluster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 22:07:02 UTC 2017

Don't snapshot the entire gluster volume, keep a rolling routine for
snapshotting the individual VMs & rsync those.
As already mentioned, you need to "itemize" the backups - trying to manage
backups for the whole volume as a single unit is just crazy!

Also, for long term backups, maintaining just the core data of each VM is
far more manageable.

I settled on oVirt for our platform, and do the following...

   - A cronjob regularly snapshots & clones each VM, whose image is then
   rsynced to our backup storage;
   - The backup server snapshots the VM's *image* backup volume to maintain
   history/versioning;
   - These full images are only maintained for 30 days, for DR purposes;
   - A separate routine rsyncs the VM's core data to its own *data* backup
   volume, which is snapshotted & maintained for 10 years;
      - This could be made more efficient by using guestfish to extract the
      core data from backup image, instead of basically rsyncing the
data across
      the network twice.

That *active* storage layer uses Gluster on top of XFS & LVM. The *backup*
storage layer uses a mirrored storage unit running ZFS on FreeNAS.
This of course doesn't allow for HA in the case of the entire cloud
failing. For that we'd use geo-rep & a big fat pipe.