[Gluster-users] advice needed on configuring large gluster cluster

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:05:47 UTC 2017

Hi

we have a new gluster cluster we are planning on deploying.  We will have
24 nodes each with JBOD, 39 8TB drives and 6, 900GB SSDs, and FDR IB

We will not be using all of this as one volume , but I thought initially of
using a distributed disperse volume.

Never having attempted anything on this scale I have a couple of questions
regarding EC and distibuted disperse volumes.

Does a distributed dispersed volume have to start life as distributed
dispersed, or can I  take a disperse volume and make it distributed by
adding bricks?

Does an EC scheme of 24+4 seem reasonable?  One requirement we will have is
the need to tolerate two nodes down at once, as the nodes share a chassis.
I assume that  distributed disperse volumes can be expanded in a similar
fashion to distributed replicate volumes by adding additional disperse
brick sets?

I would also like to consider adding a hot-tier using the SSDs,  I confess
I have not done much reading on tiering, but am hoping I can use a
different volume form for the hot tier.  Can I use create a disperse, or a
distributed replicated?   If I am smoking rainbows then I can consider
setting up a SSD only distributed disperse volume.

I'd also appreciate any feedback on likely performance issues and tuning
tips?

Many Thanks

-Alastair