[Gluster-users] How understand some code execute client side or server side?

Mohammed Rafi K C rkavunga at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 17:08:32 UTC 2017

GlusterFS has mainly four daemons, ie glusterfs (generally client
process), glusterfsd (generally brick process), glusterd (management
daemon) and gluster (cli).

Except cli (cli/src) all of them are basically the same binary symlinked
to different name. So what makes them different is graphs, ie each
daemons loads a graph and based on the graph it does it's job.

Nodes of each graph are called xlators. So to figure out what are the
xlators loaded in client side graph. You can see a client graph

Once you figured out the xlators in client graph and their type, you can
go to the source code, xlatos/<type>/<name>.

Please note that, if an xlator loaded on client graph it doesn't mean
that it will only run in client side. The same xlator can also run in
server if we load a graph with that xlator loaded.

Let me know if this is not helping you to understand

Regards

Rafi KC

So glusterd and cli codes are always ran on servers.