[Gluster-users] Sharding?

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Thu Mar 9 16:10:56 UTC 2017

> I've seen the term sharding pop up on the list a number of times but I
> haven't found any documentation or explanation of what it is. Would someone
> please enlighten me?

It's a way to split the files you put on the volume. With a shard size of 64 MB
for example, the biggest file on the volume will be 64 MB. It's transparent
when accessing the files though, you can still of course write your 2 TB file
and access it as usual.

It's usefull for things like healing (only the shard being headed is locked,
and you have a lot less data to transfert) and for things like hosting a single
huge file that would be bigger than one of your replicas.

We use it for VM disks, as it decreases heal times a lot.

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111