[Gluster-users] Arbiter node as VM

mabi mabi at protonmail.ch
Thu Jun 29 20:10:48 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a replica 2 GlusterFS 3.8.11 cluster on 2 Debian 8 physical servers using ZFS as filesystem. Now in order to avoid a split-brain situation I would like to add a third node as arbiter.
Regarding the arbiter node I have a few questions:
- can the arbiter node be a virtual machine? (I am planning to use Xen as hypervisor)
- can I use ext4 as file system on my arbiter? or does it need to be ZFS as the two other nodes?
- or should I use here XFS with LVM this provisioning as mentioned in the
- is it OK that my arbiter runs Debian 9 (Linux kernel v4) and my other two nodes run Debian 8 (kernel v3)?
- what about thin provisioning of my volume on the arbiter node (https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Setting%20Up%20Volumes/) is this required? on my two other nodes I do not use any thin provisioning neither LVM but simply ZFS.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Best regards,
Mabi