[Gluster-users] Slow write times to gluster disk

Pat Haley phaley at mit.edu
Tue Jun 27 16:29:48 UTC 2017

Hi Soumya,

One example, we have a common working directory dri_fleat in the gluster
volume

drwxrwsr-x 22 root dri_fleat     4.0K May  1 15:14 dri_fleat

my user (phaley) does not own that directory but is a member of the
group  dri_fleat and should have write permissions.  When I go to the
nfs-mounted version and try to use the touch command I get the following

ibfdr-compute-0-4(dri_fleat)% touch dum
touch: cannot touch `dum': Permission denied

One of the sub-directories under dri_fleat is "test" which phaley owns

drwxrwsr-x  2 phaley   dri_fleat 4.0K May  1 15:16 test

Under this directory (mounted via nfs) user phaley can write

ibfdr-compute-0-4(test)% touch dum
ibfdr-compute-0-4(test)%

I have put the packet captures in

http://mseas.mit.edu/download/phaley/GlusterUsers/TestNFSmount/

capture_nfsfail.pcap   has the results from the failed touch experiment
capture_nfssucceed.pcap  has the results from the successful touch
experiment

The command I used for these was

tcpdump -i ib0 -nnSs 0 host 172.16.1.119 -w /root/capture_nfstest.pcap

The brick log files are also in the above link.  If I read them
correctly they both funny times.  Specifically I see entries from around
2017-06-27 14:02:37.404865  even though the system time was 2017-06-27
12:00:00.

One final item, another reply to my post had a link for possible
problems that could arise from users belonging to too many group. We
have seen the above problem even with a user belonging to only 4 groups.

Let me know what additional information I can provide.

Thanks

Pat

Pat Haley                          Email:  phaley at mit.edu
Center for Ocean Engineering       Phone:  (617) 253-6824
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering    Fax:    (617) 253-8125
MIT, Room 5-213                    http://web.mit.edu/phaley/www/
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02139-4301