[Gluster-users] High-availability with KVM?

Gambit15 dougti+gluster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:04:24 UTC 2017

On 20 January 2017 at 19:26, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This I think, highlights one of glusters few weaknesses - the
> inflexibility of brick layout. It would be really nice if you could just
> arbitrarily add bricks to distributed-replicate volumes and have files be
> evenly distributed among them as a whole. This would work particularly well
> with sharded volumes. Unfortunately I suspect this would need some sort of
> meta server.

Setups with arbiters especially. I know it's a relatively new feature
still, however all of the tools for managing & manipulating dist-rep
layouts are geared for standard bricks. It's very easy to accidentally
convert your arbiters into full rep 3 bricks.
Luckily, most situations where you want to grow your cluster from a basic
setup, you'll be converting to true rep 3 anyway.