[Gluster-users] Cheers and some thoughts

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:32:18 UTC 2017

Il 05 gen 2017 2:00 PM, "Jeff Darcy" <jdarcy at redhat.com> ha scritto:

There used to be an idea called "data classification" to cover this
kind of case.  You're right that setting arbitrary goals for arbitrary
objects would be too difficult.  However, we could have multiple pools
with different replication/EC strategies, then use a translator like
the one for tiering to control which objects go into which pools based
on some kind of policy.  To support that with a relatively small
number of nodes/bricks we'd also need to be able to split bricks into
smaller units, but that's not really all that hard

IMHO one of the biggest drawback in gluster is the way it manage bricks
Adding the ability to add one server per time without having to manually
rebalance or similiar would be usefully

Both ceph and lizard manage this automatically.
If you want, you can add a single disk to a working cluster and
automatically the whole cluster is rebalanced transparently with no user
intervention

This is really usefully an much less error prone that having to manually
rebalance all the things