[Gluster-users] install Gluster 3.9 on CentOS

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 16:27:57 UTC 2017

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ramesh Nachimuthu" <rnachimu at redhat.com>

I'm not sure we have settled on who is _maintaining_ 3.9. Pranith and Aravinda made the initial release, but that might be the end of their involvement. Or not. Either way you can just send an email to gluster-users or gluster-dev saying 3.9 looks good and whoever it is will get the message.

GlusterFS 3.9 is a Short Term Maintenance release. I wouldn't expect Red Hat QE to be using it in their "day job" testing. STM releases are meant to get new features into the hands of community users early.

The packages in the CentOS Storage SIG are _upstream_ packages provided by and for the GlusterFS community, just like the packages that are provided by the community in Fedora, Ubuntu Launchpad, the SuSE Build System, and on download.gluster.org.

FWIW, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, and SuSE have their own processes for managing the packages they provide – the GlusterFS community packages are independent of those processes. Independent of all that, Niels does ask for a thumbs up from someone in the community before he promotes packages in the CentOS Storage SIG. (Although I personally think Niels could promote them after a couple weeks even if nobody gives a thumbs up; as can be done with packages in Fedora.)

The GlusterFS community should not expect Red Hat QE to give the thumbs up that Niels is looking for; it's really intended, and expected, to come from one or more community users.

HTH.

--

Kaleb