[Gluster-users] Some questions about GlusterFS and Prod Environment

Gambit15 dougti+gluster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 23:06:46 UTC 2017

Hi Riccardo,

On 3 February 2017 at 07:06, Riccardo Filippone <riccardo.filippone at 3rdi-
technology.com> wrote:

> Good morning guys,
>
> we are going to deploy a new production infrastructure.
>
> in order to share some folders through our app servers (Tomcat 8), I wan
> to create a GlusterFS storage area.
>
> I made some tests in localhost (using some VMs), but at the moment only
> with Apache2.
>
> My configuration is a mirroring replica (1:1).
>
> *My questions are:*
>
> 1) Considering 2 Frontends and 2 Gluster FS Nodes, the best practice is to
> write a different fstab entry for each node?

I don't see why you'd need that. The only differences you might have would
be if you're mounting different volumes on different servers.
You could homogenise that even further by simply using *localhost* instead
of the server's FQDN.

> Frontend1 (mount the first gluster node, and the second one as backup
> volume):
> gluster1.droplet.com:/app_volume /var/www/html glusterfs
> defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=gluster2.droplet.com 0 0
>
> Frontend2 /etc/fstab (mount the second gluster node, and the first one as
> backup volume):
> gluster2.droplet.com:/app_volume /var/www/html glusterfs
> defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=gluster1.droplet.com 0 0

On the more recent versions (3.7+ at least), if you're mounting through
fuse you no longer need to define backup servers, gluster deals with that
internally. One mount option I would add would be "relatime".

2) I want to backup every day the volume files. I can run a zip command
> directly from the gluster node, or I need to mount it on the backup server
> than run the command? Is there any other good solution to store a backup?

I don't see it'd make much difference. If it's lots of small files though,
there could be a performance hit. If it did become an issue, it might be
more efficient exporting snapshots (assuming your bricks are backed by LVM.
ZFS would make it even easier).

> 3) Can I share WebApps folder between Tomcat servers? Is there any known
> issue? (for example putting a .war into the WebApps folder, I think I'll
> generate some errors due to tomcat war deploying? Anyone have experiences
> with tomcat and glusterfs shared folders?)
>
> 4) Can I use a load balancer software to mount GlusterFS volumes? If YES,
> is there any benefits?

 Again, no need. The replica translator does that for you.

> Thank you in advance for your answers,
>
> best regads, have a nice day,
>
> Riccardo

Doug