[Gluster-users] Some questions about GlusterFS and Prod Environment

Riccardo Filippone riccardo.filippone at 3rdi-technology.com
Fri Feb 3 10:06:58 UTC 2017

Good morning guys,

we are going to deploy a new production infrastructure.

in order to share some folders through our app servers (Tomcat 8), I wan to
create a GlusterFS storage area.

I made some tests in localhost (using some VMs), but at the moment only
with Apache2.

My configuration is a mirroring replica (1:1).

*My questions are:*

1) Considering 2 Frontends and 2 Gluster FS Nodes, the best practice is to
write a different fstab entry for each node?
Frontend1 (mount the first gluster node, and the second one as backup
volume):
gluster1.droplet.com:/app_volume /var/www/html glusterfs
defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=gluster2.droplet.com 0 0

Frontend2 /etc/fstab (mount the second gluster node, and the first one as
backup volume):
gluster2.droplet.com:/app_volume /var/www/html glusterfs
defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=gluster1.droplet.com 0 0

2) I want to backup every day the volume files. I can run a zip command
directly from the gluster node, or I need to mount it on the backup server
than run the command? Is there any other good solution to store a backup?

3) Can I share WebApps folder between Tomcat servers? Is there any known
issue? (for example putting a .war into the WebApps folder, I think I'll
generate some errors due to tomcat war deploying? Anyone have experiences
with tomcat and glusterfs shared folders?)

4) Can I use a load balancer software to mount GlusterFS volumes? If YES,
is there any benefits?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

best regads, have a nice day,

Riccardo