[Gluster-users] Production cluster planning

David Gossage dgossage at carouselchecks.com
Wed Oct 5 18:50:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il 30 set 2016 1:46 PM, "Gandalf Corvotempesta" <
> gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> > I was thinking about creating one or more raidz2 to use as bricks, with
> 2 ssd. One small partition on these ssd would be used as a mirrored SLOG
> and the other 2 would be used as standalone arc cache. will this worth the
> use of SSD or would be totally useless with gluster?
> >
> > I don't know if use gluster hot tiering or let zfs manage everything
> >

> No advice here?
> I'm still looking for advice,  i would like start the new cluster with the
> new year and i still have to choose and buy hardware

The mirrored slog will be useful.  Depending on what you put on the pool
l2arc may not get used much.  I removed mine as it got such a low hit rate
serving VM's.

I also re-did my bricks from raidz2 to using mirrored pairs. I felt that
with 3 server redundancy the performance benefits from a more raid10 type
layout would be more useful than raidz2 for the pool.  I could see where
some might want more security though in their data

I myself wouldn't experiment with tiering for my use case.  .I haven't
heard any positive feedback from anyone using tiering yet to want to be
testing.