[Gluster-users] SSD tier experimenting

Mohammed Rafi K C rkavunga at redhat.com
Mon May 2 10:34:47 UTC 2016

On 05/02/2016 01:19 PM, Sergei Hanus wrote:
> Good day, colleagues.
>
> I'm experimenting with adding tier to gluster volume. The problem I
> face - after adding tier, the volume status is stuck "in progress" :
>
> Task Status of Volume data
> Task                 : Tier migration
> ID                   : 9d3ebf9e-002d-42e7-b7b0-992c3ec378ab
> Status               : in progress
>
> Volume without tier is working fine (it's replica 3 volume).
>
> The command I use for adding tier:
>
> gluster> volume tier data attach replica 3 kvm1-lnv.lab:/ssd1/brick1
> kvm2-lnv.lab:/ssd1/brick1 kvm3-lnv.lab:/ssd1/brick1
> volume attach-tier: success
> Tiering Migration Functionality: data: success: Attach tier is
> successful on data. use tier status to check the status.
> ID: 9d3ebf9e-002d-42e7-b7b0-992c3ec378ab
>
> The version I use is glusterfs 3.7.11 built on Apr 18 2016 13:20:46
>
> If anyone has faced similar issue before, and able to share a solution
> of hint - please, asist me in resolving this issue.

As of now, Tier migration process is considered as a task. So Tier
migration daemon will be running on a tiered volume indefinitely. So As
long as your volume is a started tiered volume, Tier migration task will
be shown as in progress. If something failed, it will move to failed state.

Definitely, this is not an issue, ie it is a expected behavior. In fact,
we are planning to move tier migration process to a service based job
rather than a task based. Please let me know if you have any suggestion
or concerns in this area or any thing related to this feature.

Regards
Rafi KC