[Gluster-users] Expand distributed replicated volume

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 10:56:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > True. But at the end of 4 replace-bricks, you have 4 bricks from earlier
> > configuration which are empty now, which can be re-used. So essentially
> you
> > have 6 empty bricks which can be put back into use, but these can be
> used to
> > form replica sets as they are not from same machine. So you add-brick 2
> > replica sets with these 6 bricks and do rebalance. Makes sense?
>
> No, it does not make sense.
> I add a new server with some bricks. I have to replace the existing
> one with the newer ones.
> Now, If I try to re-add the "replaced" bricks, is the same like adding
> directly the new bricks.
>

> If I can't add a bricks from a new single server to a replica3, why
> can I add re-add bricks from an older single server ? That's the same.

For adding new bricks into a replica set you need each brick in the replica
set to be from different machine. So you can't add all bricks directly from
just one machine. So how do you get the extra bricks that can be combined
with the bricks on new machine? From old servers. How do you get those?
Using replace-brick. I hope with this info if you can go through the
example once again, it probably may clarify your doubts. Please feel free
to ask any questions you may have.

PS: This discussion proves this functionality definitely goes into heketi
so that we don't have to do all this math. Thanks a lot for bringing this
to our notice!!

--
Pranith