[Gluster-users] Expand distributed replicated volume

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:02:57 UTC 2016

> For adding new bricks into a replica set you need each brick in the replica
> set to be from different machine. So you can't add all bricks directly from
> just one machine. So how do you get the extra bricks that can be combined
> with the bricks on new machine? From old servers. How do you get those?
> Using replace-brick. I hope with this info if you can go through the example
> once again, it probably may clarify your doubts. Please feel free to ask any
> questions you may have.

I'm new to gluster, so let me try to explain and sorry for my dump question.

If I have a replica made with:

(s1b1, s2b1, s3b1)
(s1b2, s2b2, s3b2)
(s1b3, s2b3, s3b3)

Why I cant add a new server getting this result:

(s1b1, s2b1, s3b1, s4b1)
(s1b2, s2b2, s3b2, s4b2)
(s1b3, s2b3, s3b3, s4b3)

?? In this case , I've added a new server with 3 bricks.