[Gluster-users] managing slow drives in cluster

Mohammed Rafi K C rkavunga at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 06:02:35 UTC 2016

On 08/02/2016 08:22 PM, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> So we managed to work around the behavior by setting
>
> sysctl -w vm.dirty_bytes=50000000
> sysctl -w vm.dirty_background_bytes=25000000
>
> In our environment with our specific load testing, this prevents the
> disk flush from taking longer than gluster's timeout and avoids the
> whole problem with gluster timing out. We haven't finished our
> performance testing, but initial results suggest that it is no worse
> than the performance we had with our previous home-grown solution. In
> our previous home grown solution, we had a fuse layer that was calling
> fsync() on every megabyte written as soon as there were 10 megabytes
> worth of requests in the queue, which was effectively emulating in user
> code what these kernel parameters do but with even smaller numbers.

Great to know you managed to workaround it.

> Thanks for the note below about the potential patch. I applied this to
> 3.8.1 with the fix based on the code review comment and have that in my
> back pocket in case we need it, but we're going to try with just the
> kernel tuning for now. These parameters are decent for us anyway
> because, for other reasons based on the nature of our application and
> certain customer requirements, we want to keep the amount of dirty data
> really low.
>
> It looks like the code review has been idle for some time. Any reason?
> It looks like a simple and relatively obvious change (not to take
> anything away from it at all, and I really appreciate the pointer). Is
> there anything potentially unsafe about it? Like are there some cases
> where not always appending to the queue could cause damage to data if
> the test wasn't exactly right or wasn't doing exactly what it was
> expecting? If I were to run our load test against the patch, it wouldn't
> catch anything like that because we don't actually look at the content
> of the data written in our load test.

I believe it will not result in any kind of data loss scenario, but we
can have more discussion and reviews on this area. I got reviews from
Shyam, and will continue the discussion in gerrit as a patch comment.

We would be very happy to have your valuable suggestions for the patch
or for any other solution .

> In any case, if the kernel tuning
> doesn't completely solve the problem for us, I may pull this out and do
> some more rigorous testing against it. If I do, I can comment on the
> code change.

Great. I will rebase the patch so that if needed you can cleanly apply
yo master code.