[Gluster-users] managing slow drives in cluster

Jay Berkenbilt ejb at ql.org
Tue Aug 2 14:52:50 UTC 2016

So we managed to work around the behavior by setting

sysctl -w vm.dirty_bytes=50000000
sysctl -w vm.dirty_background_bytes=25000000

In our environment with our specific load testing, this prevents the
disk flush from taking longer than gluster's timeout and avoids the
whole problem with gluster timing out. We haven't finished our
performance testing, but initial results suggest that it is no worse
than the performance we had with our previous home-grown solution. In
our previous home grown solution, we had a fuse layer that was calling
fsync() on every megabyte written as soon as there were 10 megabytes
worth of requests in the queue, which was effectively emulating in user
code what these kernel parameters do but with even smaller numbers.

Thanks for the note below about the potential patch. I applied this to
3.8.1 with the fix based on the code review comment and have that in my
back pocket in case we need it, but we're going to try with just the
kernel tuning for now. These parameters are decent for us anyway
because, for other reasons based on the nature of our application and
certain customer requirements, we want to keep the amount of dirty data
really low.

It looks like the code review has been idle for some time. Any reason?
It looks like a simple and relatively obvious change (not to take
anything away from it at all, and I really appreciate the pointer). Is
there anything potentially unsafe about it? Like are there some cases
where not always appending to the queue could cause damage to data if
the test wasn't exactly right or wasn't doing exactly what it was
expecting? If I were to run our load test against the patch, it wouldn't
catch anything like that because we don't actually look at the content
of the data written in our load test. In any case, if the kernel tuning
doesn't completely solve the problem for us, I may pull this out and do
some more rigorous testing against it. If I do, I can comment on the
code change.

For now, unless I post otherwise, we're considering our specific problem
to be resolved, though I believe there remains a potential weakness in
gluster's ability to report that it is still up in the case of a slower
disk write speed on one of the nodes.

--Jay