[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.7 and OpenShift Enterprise v3

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 14:08:15 UTC 2015

On Sunday 06 September 2015 07:34 AM, Ryan Nix wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're evaluating OpenShift v3, which uses Docker. The manual recommends
> using NFS v4 for storage. I would much prefer to use Gluster's native
> client instead of NFS, mainly because the Gluster client is so easy to
> use. One of our Redhat SEs says it is probably fine to use Gluster
> instead of NFS v4 for now until OpenShift gets formal support for
> Gluster in OpenShift 3.1. I asked him why Gluster wasn't initially
> supported and he said it probably came down to not having enough time to
> test thoroughly before OSE's release.

Hi Ryan - I checked internally with the corresponding Red Hat teams and
got a similar response. Lack of time is the core reason for going ahead
with NFS. You can follow up with your Red Hat representatives to ensure
that support for fuse lands in a subsequent OSE release.

> Does anyone have any experience with running Docker images with Gluster
> using the Gluster client? Is it possible that Redhat's recommendation is
> based on the performance of NFS v4 vs Gluster?

No performance numbers have been gathered with fuse client in OSE and
hence the question of comparison does not arise. What
applications/workloads do you intend running in OSE?

> I can't seem to find
> anything that says one is faster than the other. Has anyone used Gluster
> with Docker (which powers OpenShift)?

There have been various write ups on the web about using Gluster and
Docker. I would be very interested if someone on this list has direct
experience with this combination.

Thanks,
Vijay