[Gluster-users] What is the recommended backup strategy for GlusterFS?

M S Vishwanath Bhat msvbhat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 19:03:30 UTC 2015

MS
On 5 Sep 2015 12:57 am, "Mathieu Chateau" <mathieu.chateau at lotp.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so far I use rsnapshot. This script do rsync with rotation, and most
important same files are stored only once through hard link (inode). I save
space, but still rsync need to parse all folders to know for new files.

> I am also interested in solution 1), but need to be stored on distinct
drives/servers. We can't afford to loose data and snapshot in case of human
error or disaster.

merlin.morgenstern at gmail.com>:

>> I have about 1M files in a GlusterFS with rep 2 on 3 nodes runnnig
gluster 3.7.3.

>> What would be a recommended automated backup strategy for this setup?
>>
>> I already considered the following:

Have you considered glusterfs geo-rep? It's actually for disaster recovery.
But might suit your backup use case as well.

My two cents

//MS

>> 1) glusterfs snapshots in combination with dd. This unfortunatelly was
not possible so far as I could not find any info on how to make a image
file out of the snapshots and how to automate the snapshot procedure.

>> 2) rsync the mounted file share to a second directory and do a tar on
the entire directory after rsync completed

>> 3) combination of 1 and 2. Doing a snapshot that gets mounted
automaticaly and then rsync from there. Problem: How to automate snapshots
and how to know the mount path

>> Currently I am only able to do the second option, but the fist option
seems to be the most atractive.