[Gluster-users] Can we run VMs from Glaster volume

Roman romeo.r at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:12:10 UTC 2015

I'd recommend Proxmox as vritualizing platform. In new version (4) HA works
with few clicks and no need for external fencing devices (all is done by
the watchdog from now on). Also it runs fine with GlusterFS as VM storage
(I'm running about 20 VMs / KVM / on gluster and thinking of moving 10 more
there from OpenVZ).

> If you have enough Linux background to think of implementing gluster
> storage, why not virtualize on Linux as well?
>
> If you're using the standard Hyperv free version you don't get
> clustering support anyways, so standalone KVM gives you the same basic
> capabilities and you can use virt-manager to manage standalone
> hypervisors with a gui. You might have to use NFS mounts instead of
> glusterfs, not sure where the support is yet.
>
> If you want clustering (HA, centralized storage, migration etc) then
> take a look at Ovirt which has native gluster storage support. Its
> also significantly more complex than KVM/virt-manager, especially when
> troubleshooting.
>
> FYI hyperv only supports SMB storage on 2012+ if that makes any
> difference. Technically you could export glusterfs over samba, but I
> can envision a world of hurt here.
>
> Lastly if you do implement gluster in any way/shape/form, make sure
> you've got a solid amount of time in your testing phase to work
> through any issues, and figure out how to recover from disasters and
> what you're using for backup.
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Nashid Farhad <nfarhad at premierpc.com.au>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > We’re looking into rolling out glister for our network storage.
> >

> > What we want to do is run VMs from the glister volume using Hyper-V.
> >

> > Now, I’ve read in the documentation that glister does not support live
> data
> > (e.g. live sql database)
> >

> > Does it also imply that we can’t have live VMs? And, what if we want to
> run
> > sql database in the VM?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Nashid