[Gluster-users] Can we run VMs from Glaster volume

Steve Dainard sdainard at spd1.com
Thu Oct 1 18:25:00 UTC 2015

If you have enough Linux background to think of implementing gluster
storage, why not virtualize on Linux as well?

If you're using the standard Hyperv free version you don't get
clustering support anyways, so standalone KVM gives you the same basic
capabilities and you can use virt-manager to manage standalone
hypervisors with a gui. You might have to use NFS mounts instead of
glusterfs, not sure where the support is yet.

If you want clustering (HA, centralized storage, migration etc) then
take a look at Ovirt which has native gluster storage support. Its
also significantly more complex than KVM/virt-manager, especially when
troubleshooting.

FYI hyperv only supports SMB storage on 2012+ if that makes any
difference. Technically you could export glusterfs over samba, but I
can envision a world of hurt here.

Lastly if you do implement gluster in any way/shape/form, make sure
you've got a solid amount of time in your testing phase to work
through any issues, and figure out how to recover from disasters and
what you're using for backup.