[Gluster-users] EC planning

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Oct 14 11:03:54 UTC 2015

Hi Serkan,

On 13/10/15 15:53, Serkan Çoban wrote:
> Hi Xavier and thanks for your answers.
>
> Servers will have 26*8TB disks.I don't want to loose more than 2 disk
> for raid,
> so my options are HW RAID6 24+2 or 2 * HW RAID5 12+1,

A RAID5 of more than 8-10 disks is normally considered unsafe because
the probability of a second drive failure while reconstructing another
failed drive is considerably high. The same happens with a RAID6 of more
than 16-20 disks.

> in both cases I can create 2 bricks per server using LVM and use one brick
> per server to create two distributed-disperse volumes. I will test those
> configurations when servers arrive.

I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you saying you will create two
separate gluster volumes or you will add both bricks to the same
distributed-dispersed volume ?

> I can go with 8+1 or 16+2, will make tests when servers arrive. But 8+2 will
> be too much, I lost nearly %25 space in this case.
>
> For the client count, this cluster will get backups from hadoop nodes
> so there will be 750-1000 clients at least which sends data at the same
> time.
> Can 16+2 * 3 = 54 gluster nodes handle this or should I increase node count?

In this case I think it would be better to increase the number of
bricks, otherwise you may have some performance hit to serve all these
clients.

One possibility is to get rid of the server RAID and use each disk as a
single brick. This way you can create 26 bricks per server and assign
each one to a different disperse set. A big distributed-dispersed volume
balances I/O load between bricks better. Note that RAID configurations
have a reduction in the available number of IOPS. For sequential writes,
this is not so bad, but if you have many clients accessing the same
bricks, you will see many random accesses even if clients are doing
sequential writes. Caching can alleviate this, but if you want to
sustain a throughput of 2-3 GB/s, caching effects are not so evident.

Without RAID you could use a 16+2 or even a 16+3 dispersed volume. This
gives you a good protection and increased storage.

Xavi