[Gluster-users] Replica 3 cluster, file being healed on all 3 nodes

Krutika Dhananjay kdhananj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 12:33:24 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

I don't think it is possible for heal of this image to be happening on all three nodes.

> Is this the diff algorithm in play? is it comparing blocks on all three nodes
> using the ones that are identical across two or three nodes? If it
> encountered a block that was different on all three ndes would that result
> in split brain?

Yes, diff heal performs rolling checksum of every block at same offset on all three copies of the file to see if that block needs heal.

As far as split-brain is concerned, self-heal daemon would not even attempt to heal the file if it detects that the file is in split-brain (due to the absence of at least one good copy).
It is possible for the three copies of the file to have different checksums (when client quorum is disabled) but one of them MUST be a good copy for heal to happen.

-Krutika