[Gluster-users] Replica 3 cluster, file being healed on all 3 nodes

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:34:01 UTC 2015

Have been testing failure mode by killing the gluster processes on a node
(killall glusterd glusterfsd).

Pleasantly surprised how much smoother gluster has got at this since 3.5,
heal takes a while but it no longer kills cluster performance. Probably
helps that I'm using replica 3 now rather than replica 2.

However I managed to create a state where a file was being healed on all
three nodes (probably y live migrating a VM while it was being healed). I
didn't think that was possible without creating a split brain problem, but
it eventually got all the way to being healed.

Is this the diff algorithm in play? is it comparing blocks on all three
nodes using the ones that are identical across two or three nodes? If it
encountered a block that was different on all three ndes would that result
in split brain?

--
Lindsay