[Gluster-users] How to replace a dead brick? (3.6.5)

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:24:12 UTC 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 07:19, Joe Julian <joe at julianfamily.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/2015 12:06 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>
> First up - one of the things that concerns me re gluster is the incoherent
> state of documentation. The only docs linked on the main webpage are for
> 3.2 and there is almost nothing on how to handle failure modes such as dead
> disks/bricks etc, which is one of glusters primary functions.
>

> Every link under Documentation at http://gluster.org points to the
> gluster.readthedocs.org pages that are all current. Where is this "main
> webpage" in which you found links to the old wiki pages?

The Community Page:

  http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php

Which is what came up at the top when i searched for gluster documentation.
Might be an idea to redirect to the main docs from that page.

> My problem - I have a replica 2 volume, 2 nodes, 2 bricks (zfs datasets).
>
> As a test, I destroyed one brick (zfs destroy the dataset).
>

> Can't start the datastore1:
>
>   volume start: datastore1: failed: Failed to find brick directory
> /glusterdata/datastore1 for volume datastore1. Reason : No such file or
> directory
>
> A bit disturbing, I was hoping it would work off the remaining brick.
>

> It *is* still working off the remaining brick. It won't start the missing
> brick because the missing brick is missing. This is by design. If, for
> whatever reason, your brick did not mount, you don't want gluster to start
> filling your root device with replication from the other brick.

It wouldn't start the *Datastore*, so all bricks were unavailable. I did
stop the datastore myself in the first place, but I would have expected I
could restart it.

thanks,

--
Lindsay