[Gluster-users] Question on HA Active-Active Ganesha setup

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 15:42:54 UTC 2015

On 11/05/2015 10:13 AM, Surya K Ghatty wrote:
> All... I need your help! I am trying to setup Highly available
> Active-Active Ganesha configuration on two glusterfs nodes based on
> instructions here:
>
> https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Configuring%20HA%20NFS%20Server/
> and
> http://www.slideshare.net/SoumyaKoduri/high-49117846 and
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mvTQC-efM.
>

> *My questions:*
>
> 1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
> command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a
> success message without creating the shared volume.
> 2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?
>
> *Details:*
> I am using glusterfs 3.7.5 and Ganesha 2.2.0.6 installable packages. I'm
> installing
>
> Also, I am using the following command
>
> gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
>
> that would automatically setup the shared_storage directory under
> /run/gluster/ and automounts the shared volume for HA.
>
> This command was working perfectly fine, and I was able to setup ganesha
> HA successfully on cent OS 7.0 running on bare metals - until now.
>

> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# gluster vol set all
> cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
> volume set: success
>
> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# pwd
> /run/gluster
>
> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# ls
> 5027ba011969a8b2eca99ca5c9fb77ae.socket shared_storage
> changelog-9fe3f3fdd745db918d7d5c39fbe94017.sock snaps
> changelog-a9bf0a82aba38610df80c75a9adc45ad.sock
>

> Yesterday, we tried to deploy Ganesha HA with Gluster FSAL on a
> different cloud. and when I run the same command there, (same version of
> glusterfs and ganesha, same cent OS 7) - the command returned
> successfully, but it did not auto create the shared_storage directory.
> There were no logs either in
> /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log
>
> or /var/log/ganesha.log related to the command.
>
> However, I do see these logs written to the etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log
>
> [2015-11-05 14:43:00.692762] W [socket.c:588:__socket_rwv] 0-nfs: readv
> on /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket failed
> (Invalid argument)
>
> on both ganesha nodes independent of the commands I execute.
>
> regarding this error, I did a ss -x | grep
> /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket
>
> and it appears that no process was using these sockets, on either machines.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
> command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a
> success message without creating the shared volume.
> 2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?
> Regards,

The answer everyone hates to hear: It works for me.

I suspect it's not working in your case because it wants to create a
"replica 3" volume and you only have two nodes.

My blog at
http://blog.gluster.org/2015/10/linux-scale-out-nfsv4-using-nfs-ganesha-and-glusterfs-one-step-at-a-time/
documents what I did recently to set up a four node HA ganesha cluster
for testing at the NFS Bake-a-thon that Red Hat hosted recently.