[Gluster-users] Question on HA Active-Active Ganesha setup

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 17:18:11 UTC 2015

On 11/05/2015 08:43 PM, Surya K Ghatty wrote:
> All... I need your help! I am trying to setup Highly available
> Active-Active Ganesha configuration on two glusterfs nodes based on
> instructions here:
>
> https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Configuring%20HA%20NFS%20Server/
> and
> http://www.slideshare.net/SoumyaKoduri/high-49117846 and
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mvTQC-efM.
>

> *My questions:*
>
> 1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
> command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a
> success message without creating the shared volume.
> 2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?
>
> *Details:*
> I am using glusterfs 3.7.5 and Ganesha 2.2.0.6 installable packages. I'm
> installing
>
> Also, I am using the following command
>
> gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
>
> that would automatically setup the shared_storage directory under
> /run/gluster/ and automounts the shared volume for HA.
>
> This command was working perfectly fine, and I was able to setup ganesha
> HA successfully on cent OS 7.0 running on bare metals - until now.
>

> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# gluster vol set all
> cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
> volume set: success
>
> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# pwd
> /run/gluster
>
> [root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# ls
> 5027ba011969a8b2eca99ca5c9fb77ae.socket shared_storage
> changelog-9fe3f3fdd745db918d7d5c39fbe94017.sock snaps
> changelog-a9bf0a82aba38610df80c75a9adc45ad.sock
>

> Yesterday, we tried to deploy Ganesha HA with Gluster FSAL on a
> different cloud. and when I run the same command there, (same version of
> glusterfs and ganesha, same cent OS 7) - the command returned
> successfully, but it did not auto create the shared_storage directory.
> There were no logs either in
> /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log
>
> or /var/log/ganesha.log related to the command.
>
> However, I do see these logs written to the etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log
>
> [2015-11-05 14:43:00.692762] W [socket.c:588:__socket_rwv] 0-nfs: readv
> on /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket failed
> (Invalid argument)
>
> on both ganesha nodes independent of the commands I execute.
>
> regarding this error, I did a ss -x | grep
> /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket
>
> and it appears that no process was using these sockets, on either machines.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
> command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a
> success message without creating the shared volume.
yes. This command creates the volume "gluster_shared_storage"  and
mounts it at '/run/gluster/shared_storage'.

> 2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?
Has the "gluster_shared_storage" volume creation itself failed? Verify
in 'gluster volume info'.
Also check if the gluster nodes are in healthy state 'gluster peer
status'. Try restarting 'glusterd' service on both the nodes.

CCin Avra who may provide more details.

Thanks,
Soumya