[Gluster-users] Question on HA Active-Active Ganesha setup

Surya K Ghatty ghatty at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 5 15:13:20 UTC 2015

All... I need your help! I am trying to setup Highly available
Active-Active Ganesha configuration on two glusterfs nodes based on
instructions here:

https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Configuring%20HA%20NFS%20Server/
 and
http://www.slideshare.net/SoumyaKoduri/high-49117846 and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mvTQC-efM.

My questions:

1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a success
message without creating the shared volume.
2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?

Details:
I am using glusterfs 3.7.5 and Ganesha 2.2.0.6 installable packages. I'm
installing

Also, I am using the following command

gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage enable

that would automatically setup the shared_storage directory
under /run/gluster/ and automounts the shared volume for HA.

This command was working perfectly fine, and I was able to setup ganesha HA
successfully on cent OS 7.0 running on bare metals - until now.

[root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# gluster vol set all
cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
volume set: success

[root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# pwd
/run/gluster

[root at qint-tor01-c7 gluster]# ls
5027ba011969a8b2eca99ca5c9fb77ae.socket          shared_storage
changelog-9fe3f3fdd745db918d7d5c39fbe94017.sock  snaps
changelog-a9bf0a82aba38610df80c75a9adc45ad.sock

Yesterday, we tried to deploy Ganesha HA with Gluster FSAL on a different
cloud. and when I run the same command there, (same version of glusterfs
and ganesha, same cent OS 7) - the command returned successfully, but it
did not auto create the shared_storage directory. There were no logs either
in /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log

or  /var/log/ganesha.log related to the command.

However, I do see these logs written to the etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log

[2015-11-05 14:43:00.692762] W [socket.c:588:__socket_rwv] 0-nfs: readv
on /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket failed (Invalid
argument)

on both ganesha nodes independent of the commands I execute.

regarding this error, I did a ss -x |
grep /var/run/gluster/9d5e1ba5e44bd1aa3331d2ee752a806a.socket

and it appears that no process was using these sockets, on either machines.

My questions:

1. what is the expected behvaior? Is the cluster.enable-shared-storage
command expected to create shared storage? It seems odd to return a success
message without creating the shared volume.
2. Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?
Regards,

Surya Ghatty

"This too shall pass"

Surya Ghatty | Software Engineer | IBM Cloud Infrastructure Services
Development | tel: (507) 316-0559 | ghatty at us.ibm.com