[Gluster-users] Rebalance never seems to start - Could be coursed by..

Jesper Led Lauridsen TS Infra server JLY at dr.dk
Wed Mar 25 12:19:45 UTC 2015

Hi

I had an issue where rebalance of a volume never seemed to start. After I executed rebalance the status was like below for a week's time.

# gluster volume rebalance rhevtst_dr2_g_data_01 status
                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped               status   run time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------         ------------     --------------
                               localhost                0        0Bytes             0             0             0          in progress               0.00
                    glustore04.net.dr.dk                0        0Bytes             0             0             0          in progress               0.00
                    glustore03.net.dr.dk                0        0Bytes             0             0             0          in progress               0.00
                    glustore02.net.dr.dk                0        0Bytes             0             0             0          in progress               0.00
volume rebalance: rhevtst_dr2_g_data_01: success:

I found that 'auth.allow' was the course to the problem. The 4 gluster-nodes IP (glustore0x.net.dr.dk) was not represented in the 'auth.allow' value.  After adding the IP's I can now rebalance successfully.

I have only confirmed this on a  Distributed Replica volume on gluster 3.6.2

Hope this may help others..

Thanks
Jesper

******
# rpm -qa | grep gluster
glusterfs-api-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
glusterfs-cli-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
glusterfs-geo-replication-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
glusterfs-libs-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
glusterfs-fuse-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
glusterfs-rdma-3.6.2-1.el6.x86_64
vdsm-gluster-4.14.17-0.el6.noarch