[Gluster-users] gluster probe node by hostname

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 08:50:19 UTC 2015

You have just modified the on-disk stored information. The in-memory
information still is the IP. GlusterD only reads the on-disk file when
starting up, and after that uses the in-memory information for all
operations. This is why you still see the IP in peer status. You have to
restart GlusterD on Node2 and Node3 to load the information from the
modified file.

But instead of the above, you have simpler option to set the hostname for
Node1.
- Probe Node2 and Node3 from Node1 as normal ("gluster peer probe node2",
"gluster peer probe node3"). After this Node1 will be referred to by it's
IP on Node2 and Node3.
- From one of Node2 or Node3, do a reverse probe on Node1 ("gluster peer
probe node1"). This will update the IP to hostname everywhere (in-memory,
on-disk and on all nodes).

If you are using glusterfs-3.6 and above, doing the reverse probe on Node1
will not change the IP to hostname. Instead an extra name is attached to
Node1 and will be displayed in peer status under 'Other Names'.

~kaushal