[Gluster-users] Revamping the GlusterFS Documentation...

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Tue Mar 24 21:59:10 UTC 2015

Hi Shravan,

Having recently set up geo-replication of Gluster v3.5.3 I can tell you
that there is effectively almost no documentation. The documentation
that does exists is primarily focused on describing the differences
between the current and previous versions. That's completely useless to
someone wanting to set it up for the first time and not a whole lot
better for someone who has upgraded. The first, and perhaps most
crucial, piece of information that's missing is installation
requirements. Nowhere have I been able to find out exactly which
components are required on either the master or the slave. In my case
this was determined by pure trial and error. i.e. Install what I think
should be needed and then continue installing components until it starts
to work. Even once that part is done, there is a LOT of documentation
missing. I recall that when I first set up geo-replication (v3.2 or
v3.3?) I was able to follow clear and simple step by step instructions
that almost guaranteed success.

regards,
John