[Gluster-users] Distributed replicated Volume questions

Taylor Lewick tlewick at adknowledge.com
Thu Mar 19 16:14:51 UTC 2015

I'm new to gluster administration, and am looking at a current gluster cluster...

We have a 6 node gluster cluster and a volume called cdparchive2 that is set to distributed replicated.
My assumption was that it is set to distribute across the first 3 bricks, and that group of 3 bricks would replicate to the next three bricks.

Here is the output from gluster volume info cdparchive2

gluster volume info cdparchive2
Volume Name: cdparchive2
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: 1e3fdd58-14fc-459b-817f-6c6612090ecd
Number of Bricks: 3 x 2 = 6
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: gluster07:/data/cdparchive2
Brick2: gluster08:/data/cdparchive2
Brick3: gluster09:/data/cdparchive2
Brick4: gluster10:/data/cdparchive2
Brick5: gluster11:/data/cdparchive2
Brick6: gluster12:/data/cdparchive2

So based on my assumptions/understanding, I thought it would distribute across nodes 7 8 and 9, and then replicate to 10, 11, 12.

But when I login to each gluster data node and du a du -sm on /data/cdparchive2 I see the following:
Nodes 7 and 8 are the same size, nodes 9 and 10 are the same size, and nodes 11 and 12 are the same size.

So I guess that means its distributing to 7, 9 and 11, and replicating to 8, 10, and 12?

Going forward, how do I create a new distributed replicated volume that acts the way I assume, that is distributes across first 3 nodes, and then replicates to the next 3 nodes?

Would that be gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 transport tcp gluster071:/test1 gluster08:/test2 gluster09:/test3 gluster10:/test4 gluster11:/test5  gluster12:/test6?