[Gluster-users] Research Storage Solutions

Rens Vermeulen rens.vermeulen at technolution.nl
Thu Mar 19 14:44:06 UTC 2015

Hi, I'm doing a research in different kinds of Storage Solutions.

I see many terms like: Software Defined Storage, Hyper Converged Storage
Solution, Software Only Hyper Converged Storage Solutions with a Reference
Architecture that got demands on specific hardware to make sure you get the
best results.

Our storage solution today is traditional storage solution with the four
separate well knows tiers(Network, Computing, Storage, Software) in a
Storage Area Network. But the case is we can't simply just plugin Disks to
enlarge our storage, it is a typical scale up solution. We just want to add
more storage without the dramatically changes that Hyper Converged Storage
brings along, they claim that they add all tiers in one place.

How do I need see GlusterFS in the picture above? Does it still works with
the separate tiers of Network, Compute and Storage? So if I have for example
a Dell Equalogic can I re-use that Storage Array with the Gluster Software
Based solution? And in fact just add a simple commodity pc with 1TB along
with the compute power it carries to my Storage Area Network?

Thanks.

Greetz,

Rens