[Gluster-users] Running a SQL database on Gluster on AWS

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Tue Mar 17 02:39:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

Apologies, if this is worn earth, first time poster.  I did the search the
archives and didn't see any threads like mine.

I want to setup postgresql upon gluster.  I intend to build my cluster upon
AWS.  I'm running a variant of postgresql, which is a parallel version,
that lets one start postgres on multiple nodes, each which may read the
database files.

Questions:

1) I want to run upon Ubuntu v14.04 LTS, which packages would you
recommend?
/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/Debian
Wheezy or Jessie or other??

2) I am going to use AWS and EBS volumes.  I watched a video by Louis
Zuckerman, in which he indicated to use "many bricks per server".
a) does that mean many EBS volumes per server?  Or multiple bricks per EBS
 volume?
b) How many is "many"?
- My database will have 100s (maybe 1000s) of files, each will be between
10-500MB.

3) Can I use the EC2 units to do double duty, running the gluster process
AND my postgresql processes (or is that a bad idea)?
a) if I can do double duty, can my postgresql processes gain performance
when they read local files? or do all process read via the network,
regardless of whether the process wants files that may actually be local.

Any other suggestions regarding running, setting up, on AWS?

Thanks
Jay