[Gluster-users] Differences between RHSS and gluster.org codebases

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Mar 14 15:28:38 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:34:21AM +0100, Ivan Rossi wrote:
> This is mainly for the RH people.
>
> I am not sure I understand correctly how different is the gluster
> server code for the commercial RHSS and gluster.org.
>
> Is it the same codebase or RHSS is a separate fork?
> Is the relation between the two code bases similar to that of the
> RHEL-Fedora projects?

RHSS is a fork of the community GlusterFS project. Red Hat follows the
"upstream first" principle, which means that the commercial project does
not have complete different functionality/features from the upstream
project.

RHSS releases get enterprise grade testing by the Quality Engineering
department. Problems the QE team finds, will need to get fixed in the
upstream master branch, before Red Hat developers backport the change to
RHSS.

We (as the Gluster community) backport changes to our stable release
branches as well, but in a less scheduled way. The community also relies
on users reporting bugs in the stable releases. RHSS support engineers
and developers work hard to fix problems reported by their customers.
Those fixes sometimes get backported to the community stable releases
too.

The commitment for RHSS is to have a stable platform, with features that
the enterprise customers need. This includes the ability to get support
for the product, timely, well tested and non-breaking updates. There
also are different Red Hat products that integrate with RHSS. Different
versions of different upstream projects can make it difficult to pick
the right versions that play well together.

Cheers,
Niels