[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Feature support: development of metadata service xlator plugin in glusterfs.

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 20:30:23 UTC 2015

I would like to present this problem in a different context, than
solving this with a meta data server approach, and also state some of
the ongoing efforts, and wish list items, to address problems of this
nature (hence the top post).

Comments welcome! (there is a lot of "hand waving" below BTW :) )

The problem you discuss, is with regards to fan out calls rather than
actual calls themselves. I.e if we still do, lock (N+M)->record file
length(N+M)->write->unlock(N+M) using a meta data server in place, this
would only reduce to just removing the fan out portions of the same, i.e
lock->record file length->write->unlock.

(I am not an expert at EC, so I assume the sequence is right, at least
lock->unlock is present in such forms in EC and AFR, so the discussion
could proceed with these in mind).

A) Fan out, slows down responses to the slowest response, but if we
could remove some steps in the process (say the entire lock->unlock)
then we would be better placed to speed up the stack. One of the
possibilities to do this is using delegation support in the Gluster
stack that has been added for NFS Ganesha.

With piggy backed auto delegation support for a file open/creat/lookup
to a gluster client stack, the locks are local to the client and hence
do not involve network round trips for the same. Some parts of this are
in [1] and some discussed in [2].

B) For the fan out itself, NSR (see [3]) proposes server side leader
election, which could be the meta data server equivalent, but
nevertheless distributed for each EC/AFR set. Thereby removing any
single MDS limitations, and distributing MDS loads as well.

In this scheme of things, the leader needs to do local locks, rather
than the client having to send in lock requests, thereby reducing
possible FOPs again. Also, the leader can record file length etc. and
failed transactions can be handled better, further possibly reducing
other network FOP/call.

If at all possible, with A+B we should be able to come to a point of 1:1
call count between, FOP by the client, to a network FOP to a brick (and
in some occasion a fan out of 1:k). Which would mean equivalence for the
most part to any existing network file system that is not distributed
(e.g NFS).

C) For DHT related issues in the fan out of directory operations, work
around the same is being discussed as DHT2 here [4].

The central theme for DHT2 being, directory in one subvolume, hence
eliminate fan out and also bring in better consistency to various FOPs
that DHT performs.

Overall, with these approaches, we (as in gluster) would/should aim for
better consistency (first), with improved network utilization and
reduced round trips to improve performance (next).

Foot note: None of this is ready yet, and would take time, this is just
a *possible* direction that gluster core is going ahead with to address
various problems at scale.

Shyam

[1]
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/caching