[Gluster-users] Request for user comments

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 17:04:09 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 10:20 PM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

> Sent from one plus one
> On Jun 17, 2015 10:10 PM, "Pranith Kumar Karampuri"
> <pkarampu at redhat.com <mailto:pkarampu at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >

> > On 06/17/2015 09:28 PM, Ravishankar N wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I sent a patch [1] to print the backtrace generated by
> 'gf_log_callingfn' (only) in a human-readable way. While it improves
> readability by printing every function of the backtrace in a separate
> line (which is how a backtrace *should* look), it violates the fact
> that every log in gluster gets logged in a single line. Does anyone
> see any problem with this? Especially sys-admins who might have
> scripts/ mechanisms to parse logs? Note that the patch affects only
> messages logged using gf_log_callingfn() and is avoids eyesore.
> >
> > Grepping logs will be difficult with this change. May be we can use
> something like:
> > sed 's/(-->/\n(-->/g' <logfile.log> to achieve the same?
> It doesn't bother me too much if some changes are required in applying
> filters, you will need this change if you try to improve readability.
> Being a developer sometimes I get confused with this log, at least its
> not readable. I would like to see this change in (I am yet to review
> it though).

Depends on the log size. Largest logfile I debugged from customers is
 >20GB. Production logs are generally of the order of GBs. Readability
hardly matters when things get to that size. You need to be able to
process the logs and get useful information with least amount of work.
With the message-id framework we are going towards this will be even
more important to have the whole log in same line, so that we can grep
using msg-id alone.

Pranith