[Gluster-users] The strange behavior whose common denominator is gluster

Ted Miller tmiller at sonsetsolutions.org
Tue Jun 9 13:28:24 UTC 2015

On 6/9/2015 8:30 AM, Pablo Silva wrote:
> Hi Ted!
>
>     Thanks for your reply, for the implementation of Service N2 (As2
> Mendelson B45 + gluster 3.3.1-15.el6.x86_64 (1 brick)
> we have implemented  one brick
>

> As you can see, Mendelson has a Brick, and use it for to process teh
> Purchase Ordes feed in SOA21 by MULE process
>
> [root at mendelson ~]# gluster volume info
>
> Volume Name: m2mas2
> Type: Distribute
> Volume ID: 328d1e48-bb0a-4b41-92ac-699f78d2dca7
> Number of Bricks: 1
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: mendelson.XXXXX.b2b:/opt/mendelson/messages
> Options Reconfigured:
> auth.allow: 10.200.20.*,10.200.22.*
> storage.owner-uid: 500
> storage.owner-gid: 500
>

> [root at mendelson ~]# cat /etc/fstab
>
> #
> # /etc/fstab
> # Created by anaconda on Wed Oct 23 11:42:22 2013
> #
> # Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
> # See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
> #
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root / ext4    defaults,acl        1 1
> UUID=df46586a-2f06-4ada-b2e6-523f7ec3967b /boot                   ext4
> defaults        1 2
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap swap swap    defaults        0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc proc    defaults        0 0

Here is your problem.  You are not mounting m2mas2. /opt/mendelson/messages
is NOT the same as m2mas2.  You can NEVER write (or read) to
/opt/mendelson/messages.  You must pretend that is _does not exist_.  You
must mount the Gluster volume, and use only the path to the gluster volume,
never to the brick.  When you write to the brick you are "going behind
gluster's back" and gluster does not know that anything has changed, so it
does not make those files available to the gluster clients.  It may
eventually notice them, and make them available, but it is not anything
dependable or predictable.

First, make sure you have the glusterfs-fuse package installed.

You need to add a line to /etc/fstab that is like:

mendelson:/m2mas2/opt/m2m.as2       glusterfs  defaults   0 0

Then change everything that you are now reading and writing to
/opt/mendelson/messages so that it writes to /opt/m2m.as2 (or whatever mount
point you have chosen).

Many of us follow this pattern. All bricks are located at /bricks/xxx/xxx.
All gluster files systems are mounted to /gluster/xxx.  That makes the
separation between the bricks and the gluster volumes very clear, and very
hard to mess up when writing file paths in programs.  No trying to remember
"Which is the brick, and which is the gluster volume?"

On your Apache system, you again need to mount the glusterfs volume in a
separate place, and make sure that the glusterfs location is the only one
that Apache knows about or uses in any way whatsoever.

Ted Miller

> [...]
>     http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/QuickStart in
>     steps 6 and 7.  If you do not understand the difference, include the
>     output of the 'mount' command from one of your servers.
>     Ted Miller
>     Elkhart, IN, USA
>

>     On 6/5/2015 8:46 AM, Pablo Silva wrote:
>>     Dear Colleagues:
>>
>>     We are using gluster in 3.3.1-15.el6.x86_64 and GlusterFS-3.6.2-1.el5
>>     versions, we have two types of service:
>>
>>     1) Apache httpd-2.2.3-91.el5.centos + GlusterFS-3.6.2-1.el5 (two bricks)
>>
>>     2) AS2 Mendelson B45 + gluster 3.3.1-15.el6.x86_64 (two bricks)
>>
>>     It is different services, a common problem, which I will explain
>>
>>     Service N1 (Apache httpd-2.2.3-91.el5.centos + GlusterFS-3.6.2-1.el5
>>     (two bricks))
>>     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     We have a high-availability architecture, in which there are two
>>     Apache servers see a directory that is hosted on a gluster long ago we
>>     had a problem where an Apache server could list the files and submit
>>     them for download, while the other Apache server that is watching the
>>     same directory with the same files gluster indicated that there were
>>     no files for download.
>>
>>     Feeding gluster files to that directory, MULE performed
>>     asynchronously.In summary, an Apache server could access files and
>>     another did not give aware of their existence, as the directory and
>>     the same files.
>>
>>     Service N2 (As2 Mendelson B45 + gluster 3.3.1-15.el6.x86_64 (two bricks) )
>>     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     We have only one Mendelson AS2 Server B45 running with gluster (two
>>     bricks),
>>     The operations of mendelson is quite simple, is to observe the
>>     presence of files in a directory every 5 seconds and sent to the
>>     partner, the directory is hosted in gluster, the issue that every
>>     certain amount of time not Mendelson AS2 takes cognizance the
>>     existence of files in the directory, even if you enter the directory
>>     notes of its existence
>>
>>     In both cases, different services being the only common denominator is
>>     gluster, someone else is experiencing this problem?
>>
>>     Have we not set the service gluster well and we are repeating the same
>>     mistake ?, or is it a bug?
>>
>>     Thanks in advance
>>     Pablo

>     --
>     *Ted Miller*, Design Engineer
>     *SonSet Solutions*
>     (formerly HCJB Global Technology Center)
>     my desk +1 574.970.4272 <tel:%2B1%20574.970.4272>
>     receptionist +1 574.972.4252 <tel:%2B1%20574.972.4252>
>     http://sonsetsolutions.org
>
>     /Technology for abundant life!/

*Ted Miller*, Design Engineer
*SonSet Solutions*
(formerly HCJB Global Technology Center)
receptionist +1 574.972.4252