[Gluster-users] Updates on Gluster.org website

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 13:18:40 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 07:05:14PM +0200, André Bauer wrote:
> Hi @ all,
>
> i would realy like to see, that gluster.org website would be updated a
> bit more frequently. For me its realy hard to keep up with gluster,
> without reading the mailing list, whats not exactly what i want.
>
> 1.) If somebody opens http://www.gluster.org/ it seems version 3.5.4 ist
> the current version.

Yeah, I think we need to have the release guidelines amended to also
update the website. It should be possible to send pull requests to
update the contents though. The main page seems to be contructed from
this:
  https://github.com/gluster/glusterweb/blob/master/source/index.haml

> 2.) If http://www.gluster.org/news/ is opened what you see is:
> - "Looking for a Gluster Community Manager"
> - "GlusterFS v3.7.0 is available"
>
> No word about Gluster 3.7.2 or Gluster 3.5.5.

Blog posts always tend to land a little after the releases have been
made. This (partially) is intentional, so that the packagers get some
time to prepare the packages. I was planning to do the 3.5.5 notes
earlier this week... Maybe I'll get it done during the weekend.

> 3.) The "Planet Gluster news" is to much offtopic for me. Sure, running
> is fun (at least for some ;-) ) but i dont think its the right place to
> talk about "A Year Of Running" on the gluster site.
>
> Also some other tech topics seem to be far away from gluster topic.

Indeed, quite some feeds should get pruned to make the Planet more
interesting. Tagging posts with "Gluster" and only including those helps
a lot. This is something we ask authors to do. That said, anyone can
add/remove feeds through the GitHub "planet-gluster" project. The feeds
are here:
  https://github.com/gluster/planet-gluster/blob/master/data/feeds.yml

> Before i used the old documentation and looked through recent changes to
> see whats going on but imho this is not longer possible with the new
> documentation system.

Not sure if that helps you, but the new docs are also kept on GitHub:
  https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/

> Imho the Elasticsearch guys doing a great job keeping the commuinity
> updated. Have a look at their blog: https://www.elastic.co/blog
>
> Would love to have a "This week in gluster" post, which shows me whats
> going on.

This is actually one thing we have been mentioning several times
already. Great to have this suggestion coming from you too! Lets try to
get something posted regulary. I think everyone should be able to help
with this, and add a few lines for an important/interesting topic.

I've started a little to capture things from this week, feel free to add
more:
  https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-weekly-news

> Thanks in advance and keep up the good work :-)

Thanks, lets see if we can make things even better!

Cheers,
Niels