[Gluster-users] Replace a failed disk in Distributed Disperse Volume

fanghuang.data at yahoo.com fanghuang.data at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 15:53:45 UTC 2015

Hi Pakkeer,
I am also interested in this question. For 3.6 version, we don't need mount the new drive to the same mount point. The "volume replace-brick commit force" operation is supported on that version even the  replaced brick is offline. But the pro active healing is not supported and during the healing triggered by the client the xattr on the new brick still cannot be healed properly. Some xattr accessing errors are reported in the log files if I remember correctly. So even the new brick is replaced in the volume file, the data does not be healed. I once wrote a experimental script to fix all xattr of the files and directories on the new brick according to the information of other bricks. It seems to work.
For 3.7 version, the "volume replace-brick commit force" is disabled if the replaced brick is offline, both for the disperse volume and for the AFR volume. So the volume file cannot be generated with the new brick.
So the question could be extended to "how to replace a failed brick with a new brick mounted on different mount point?".
Since you mount the new brick to the same mount point with the old one and the volume is started, the pro active healing should work. Could you check the log files and find some errors reported? Best Regards,
Fang Huang