[Gluster-users] VM crash, store in glusterfs

Gregor Burck gregor at aeppelbroe.de
Mon Jul 13 10:03:31 UTC 2015

Hi Satheesaran,

> Coming back to your problem, do you run VMs in the same machine,
> where gluster is installed ?
Yes.
> Could you elaborate on your setup ?, and that could help me to
> understand the problem.
Here my setup for evaluation, I delete the volume settings, caus I
play to much around with.
My opinion is, to keep it simple, but've the possibility to avoid
crash on one single host.

<setup>
In my setup, the servers are the clients too. I hope you could
understand my description:

I remount the share back to the single machines

two machines:
gf001 and gf002

Both:
debian 8
glusterfs 3.7

/dev/sda - root
/dev/sdb - /export/vbstore

My volume info:
root at gf001 :~# gluster volume info vbstore

Volume Name: vbstore
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 7bf8aa42-8fd9-4535-888d-dacea4f14a83
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: gf001.mvz.ffm:/export/vbstore
Brick2: gf002.mvz.ffm:/export/vbstore

mounting on gf001:
mount -t glusterfs gf001:/vbstore /import/vbstore
or via fstab:
gf001:/vbstore /import/vbstore glusterfs _netdev,defaults 0 0

The same on gf002 with gf002 as server.

Creating an virtualbox VM in /import/vbstore.
Starting VM on gf001 OR gf002 work right.
I could althoug teleporting an VBox VM from one to another host.
</setup>

When I understand it right, is: Going down one of the gluster nodes in
a replica 2 setup will set filesystem rewrite on clientsite when the
node come back to work.

I've no problem to take a third node to avoid the readonly problem, or
seperate the Virtualisation Host and Gluster host.
But what settings I've to do on the gluster volume?

Bye and thank a lot for help

Gregor