[Gluster-users] set volume locking without shutting off server

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Jul 4 09:57:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 06:46:01PM -0700, Jordan Willis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to enable posix type locking with glusterfs without
> shutting off the volume?

Locking should be enabled by default (like Kaushal explained in an other
reply).

> I think this is what I need (I’m trying to get sqlite to lock files on
> my nfs mounted glusterfs volume)

SQLite is not the best databases to place on a shared filesystem. The
locking done by SQLite is (or at least was, might have changed) not very
advanced. From what I remember, there is a single file lock, no table or
row granularity.

https://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_locking_mode contains some
more details, and it also points to the WAL documentation. You will want
to prevent SQLite to use shared-memory for WAL if you access the
database from different servers at the same time.

HTH,
Niels