[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Gluster Docker images are available at docker hub

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 05:39:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2015 12:31 PM, Humble Devassy Chirammal wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > Docker images of GlusterFS 3.6 for Fedora ( 21) and CentOS  (7) are now
> > available at docker hub ( https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/gluster/ ).
> > These images can be used to deploy GlusterFS  containers.
> >
> > The blog entry at planet.gluster.org [1] have details about how these
> > images can be used.
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any comments/feedback/questions.
> >
> > [1] Building GlusterFS in a docker container @ planet.gluster.org
> > [2] http://humblec.com/building-glusterfs-in-a-docker-container/
> Hi Humble,
>
> As discussed yesterday, post daemon refactoring we generate UUID at the
> the time of glusterD init and this has caused an issue in bringing
> multiple docker containers as UUIDs will be same across different
> containers since yum install brings up glusterd and persist the
> information in /var/lib/glusterd.info. To make this work for docker
> containers could you add a line just after the installation steps in
> Dockerfile?

Yeah I too faced this issued in recent past, fixing this will help users
running gluster in containers.

> rm -rf /var/lib/glusterd/glusterd.info

Yeah this followed by glusterd restart should help

But frankly, i was hoping that 'rm' the file isn't a neat way to fix this
issue
AFAICT we have 2 scenarios:

1) Non-container scenario, where the current behaviour of glusterd
persisting the info in .info file makes sense

2) Container scenario, where the same image gets used as the base, hence
all containers gets the same UUID
For this we can have an option to tell glusterd that instructs it to
refresh the UUID during next start.

Maybe somethign like presence of a file /var/lib/glusterd/refresh_uuid
makes glusterd refresh the UUID in .info
and then delete this file, that ways, Dockerfile can touch this file, post
gluster rpm install step and things should
work as expected ?

thanx,
deepak