[Gluster-users] gluster volume traffic shaping / throttling

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 04:00:06 UTC 2015

On 12/21/2015 02:28 AM, Mateusz Zajakala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about ways to control/shape IO traffic to gluster
> volumes.
>
> I have the following setup:gluster 3.7.6, distributed/disperse volume
> (20 HDD bricks, disperse 5, redundancy 1), mount points via glusterfs
> fuse.
>
> I have multiple read sessions (hundreds of clients reading
> sequentially large >1GB files) and multiple write sessions writing
> such files. While I care that read sessions proceed with maximum speed
> I can get from my HDDs, I can live with the fact that write
> (archiving) sessions will give way and proceed more slowly.
>
> Is there a way to throttle write sessions? Ideally I'd like them to
> have lower priority than read sessions, but also not be limited in
> case there are no read sessions at the moment. It seems like I need
> some "ionice" couterpart for gusterfs.
>
> Does is exist? I was wondering if this could be achieved by tweaking
> "ionice" values on the client side for writes and reads, but since
> clients only use glusterfs fuse mountpoint I don't think it would
> work... ?
hi Mat,
         I just checked io-threads code (This feature decides priority
of different operations and multiple threads execute the operations.),
Both READ and WRITE are in same priority. May be we can give an option
to configure this? Would you like that? I will discuss this more on
gluster-devel to see what others have to say before coming to a
conclusion about how to go about this. Your feedback is much welcome.

Pranith