[Gluster-users] gluster volume traffic shaping / throttling

Mateusz Zajakala zajakala at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:58:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a question about ways to control/shape IO traffic to gluster volumes.

I have the following setup:gluster 3.7.6, distributed/disperse volume (20
HDD bricks, disperse 5, redundancy 1), mount points via glusterfs fuse.

I have multiple read sessions (hundreds of clients reading sequentially
large >1GB files) and multiple write sessions writing such files. While I
care that read sessions proceed with maximum speed I can get from my HDDs,
I can live with the fact that write (archiving) sessions will give way and
proceed more slowly.

Is there a way to throttle write sessions? Ideally I'd like them to have
lower priority than read sessions, but also not be limited in case there
are no read sessions at the moment. It seems like I need some "ionice"
couterpart for gusterfs.

Does is exist? I was wondering if this could be achieved by tweaking
"ionice" values on the client side for writes and reads, but since clients
only use glusterfs fuse mountpoint I don't think it would work... ?

Thanks
Mat