[Gluster-users] Why revamp Gluster.org?

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 09:37:26 UTC 2015

On 04/14/2015 04:43 AM, Joe Julian wrote:
> Wiki process:
> 1. user reports instructions are failing
> 2. click the link for the failing instructions
> 3. identify the problem with the instructions
> 4. click edit
> 5. edit
> 6. save
> Average total time: 2 minutes
>
> Static process:
> 1. user reports instructions are failing
> 2. click the link for the failing instructions
> 3. scan through the page for some unique text that you can use to find
> this page
> 4. git pull
> 5. git grep <text for step 3>
> wasn't found
> 12. edit the text
> 13. git commit -a -m 'repairing instructions that could never have
> worked in the first place'
> 14. see if the changes show up the next day
>
> In the mean time, that user has now made a blog post about how
> unusable gluster is. "They can't even write simple instructions for
> how to install it."
> Average total time, 15 minutes
>
> And that's only if you have permissions and know what you're doing. If
> the average user sees that typo that needs fixed, it's not going to
> happen when they can't just click "edit". They're not even going to
> tell you about it. We're professionals with jobs to do. Our jobs are
> are completely unlike development. We're not just responsible for
> getting our code into the project and ensuring it passes. We're
> responsible to customers with SLAs. We have time based commitments
> that have to be adhered to. If we have to take the time to learn how
> to contribute, it's just not going to happen.

Agree to most of your points. Wiki pages have its own value.

However it puts us in a difficult place with respect to addressing
following issues

  *  From technical accuracy point of view, we need version control as
    instructions might differ from release to release.
  * Also we have seen users complaining the documentation is scattered
    as of now and making it hard to contribute to documentation. So we
    need to fix that too.
  * Wiki pages do not have ownership around it, which in turn result in
    ill-maintained pages.

Let us know your thoughts about the above issues.

Thanks,
Lala

>>> Deb