[Gluster-users] Why revamp Gluster.org?

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Apr 13 23:13:26 UTC 2015

Wiki process:
1. user reports instructions are failing
2. click the link for the failing instructions
3. identify the problem with the instructions
4. click edit
5. edit
6. save
Average total time: 2 minutes

Static process:
1. user reports instructions are failing
2. click the link for the failing instructions
3. scan through the page for some unique text that you can use to find
this page
4. git pull
5. git grep <text for step 3>
found
12. edit the text
13. git commit -a -m 'repairing instructions that could never have
worked in the first place'
14. see if the changes show up the next day

In the mean time, that user has now made a blog post about how unusable
gluster is. "They can't even write simple instructions for how to
install it."
Average total time, 15 minutes

And that's only if you have permissions and know what you're doing. If
the average user sees that typo that needs fixed, it's not going to
happen when they can't just click "edit". They're not even going to tell
you about it. We're professionals with jobs to do. Our jobs are are
completely unlike development. We're not just responsible for getting
our code into the project and ensuring it passes. We're responsible to
customers with SLAs. We have time based commitments that have to be
adhered to. If we have to take the time to learn how to contribute, it's
just not going to happen.